Friday, November 17, 2006

Learning

Garrett is crawling! Finally! He'll be 10 months old in one week. It's about time he figured it out:) Wednesday was his official first day of crawling. He's still not trying to go very far but he's figuring it out. But he has very much enjoyed his new ability to get at the DVDs and pull them all onto the floor several times. Oh well, it provides a good lesson in obedience:)

Eliana has been doing 'school' lately. The 2 1/2 year old version, that is. My goal is to simply make time each day to do read and do activities with her. I just feel like I don't spend enough time with her. I bought her a little sticker activity book at Walmart and she's had fun doing some of those pages (some are too advanced, so either I skip them or just talk about it. Like instead of having her find which picture is different, I point out the details and talk about 'same' and 'different'). We are reading a page in her children's Bible each day during breakfast. And I'll choose some specific books to read or a craft to do.
I'm excited about next week! The Letter of the Week website has neat ideas, though I didn't love the toddler ideas enough to follow it closely. I do like the idea of a theme each week. So I'll just chose my own theme, based on things Eliana is interested in! I decided to start with elephants. We'll focus on recognizing the letter "E" (also appropriate, I thought, since it's what her name starts with!), as well as counting to 3. She can count 2 objects well. And in her mind can count 1 item of course but when asked "how many", it's always "one-two!" We went to the library and found way too many books about elephants!!!:) Here's what I got (as if anyone is really interested!):

  • 3 videos - Eyewitness Elephant (which I doubt she'll be interested in. It looks like it might be boring even to me. But I thought I'd preview it and see if there are any good parts), The Wonderful World of Animals: Family Life (there's a picture of elephants on the back plus other animals to break up the elephant monoteny of our week!), Baby Einstein World Animals (we love Baby Einstein! Again, this has many other animals in addition to elephants).
  • My Three Book by Jane Belk Moncure. Letisha introduced me to this author's books My 'insert-letter-here' Sound Box. They look so cute! I looked for the E book but it was out (maybe you have it, Letisha! I didn't notice!). Anyway, this has nothing to do with elephants. Just numbers:)
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too? by Eric Carle. Lots of animal, elephants on one page.
  • Grandma Elephant's in Charge by Martin Jenkins
  • Elephants and Their Calves by Margaret Hall. EVERYTHING for Eliana is mommies and daddies and babies so she'll like this one!
  • An Elephant Grows Up by Anastasia Suen
  • The Story of Babar by Jean de Brunhoff. We've had this one out before. I don't think her attention span lasted quite to the end, but we can look at it again. While I was out, I happened across Babar paper 'dolls' at the dollar store! Of course, being only one dollar, I couldn't resist purchasing them with the small amount of change I had with me!
  • Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
  • Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss
  • 1, 2, 3 To the Zoo by Eric Carle. Of course, the big elephant is number 1 getting onto the zoo train!

We'll also do some crafts, like make an elephant from different shapes (circle head, oval body, rectangle legs, etc). http://www.first-school.ws/activities/shapes/animals/elephantcd.htm and http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/elephants.htm have cute ideas. Oh, and how handy that Jan Brett has an Elephant for her 'E' picture!

I'm sure I've bored all 3 of my readers to death! I'm just excited:)

Now I must get offline and finich my Christmas greeting cards. After our fabulously successful yard sale a couple months ago (you know, the one where I made about $5!), we thought it would be a great idea to make some crafts to sell at Christmastime! YEAH, what a great idea! As it turned out, we not only had to MAKE THE CRAFTS but now tomorrow we have to sit outside in the cold and hope people want to stop and buy them! Sure. Great idea. I'd better get working. Almost done. I need to at least break even with the money I spent on supplies!

No comments: