I like children's books:) I love exploring the beautiful artwork and creative stories. And I like how fast you can read them!! Our recent favorites are:Madeline - Ludwig Bemelmans
Corduroy - Don Freeman
The Little House - Virginia Lee Burton
If Jesus Came to My House - Joan Gail Thomas
Daisy Comes Home - Jan Brett
Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Seuss
Night, Night, Piglet - says "retold by Rita Balducci"
But we've had a few duds too. I love Miss Suzy by Miriam Young (illustrated by Arnold Lobel). It's such a sweet story with charming pictures. I thought we'd try one of the sequels. But Miss Suzy's Birthday was awful. You wouldn't even know it has the same author and illustrator! The story is dull and the illustrations are quite boring.
We also like the endearing Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? by Nancy White Carlstrom. I didn't think I'd like it at first but as we read it, I fell for it's sing-song rhyme and creativity ("I'll wear the sun on my legs that run, sun on the run in the morning"). The artwork is cute but it's not what makes it special. Jesse Bear is illustrated consistently in Happy Birthday, Jesse Bear! but the lyrical charm is gone. It's reduced to typical, predictable poetry. Cute enough to read but not the same at all!
Oh, and Talkers, Watchers, and Doers (mentioned in a previous post) was okay. Interesting as long as you use the idea merely as a guide. I can't exactly figure out what Eliana is at this point, but I'm sure she's not a "doer" (kinesthetic learner). She is either visual or auditory, or a combination. Next on my personal reading list are Left To Tell: Discovering God in the midst of the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza and Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings by Charles Hapgo. I may not read all of the second one but it sounds interesting and I'd at least like to look at it. I'm waiting for both of these to come through interlibrary loan.
No comments:
Post a Comment