Thursday, February 01, 2007

Children's Books

Letisha has been mentioning blogs and sites which list their favorite children's books. I don't want to be left out of the fun, so here are a few of my personal favorites.

Eliana won't sit through this one yet. But I never read Raggedy Ann as a kid and was surprised to discover how wonderful the stories are! If you've never read them, then you must. I'll definitely be buying a Raggedy Ann book someday. I also like The Lonely Doll by Dare Wright. Although the stories tend to be silly (Little Bear and Edith often speak unkindly to one another), I always have loved the pictures. This would also be a good time to plug my own personal site;)
Now never mind me... what do my kids like?
Roger Priddy has some wonderful books which Garrett loves. We have Happy Baby 123, Happy Baby Words, Bright Baby Trucks, Baby Mates: In the Car, and Baby Mates: In the Bath. There are oodles more and they all look great! I'd love to have more of them:)
Although it will by no means become a classic, Eliana and Garrett have both liked Noah's Crew Came 2 by 2 by Mindy MacDonald. "God told Noah there'll be a great flood, build a big boat, get out of the mud! Gather the animals, two of each kind, every critter, leave none behind!" (Forgive me if I misquoted... that is from memory!) For each set of animals, one has a hard-molded head which the baby can poke at while Mom reads:)
I'm not personally a big fan of Goodnight Moon. It's ok. But we do love Margaret Wise Brown's Big Red Barn! It captured their attention even as infants and Eliana still loves it.
Other favorites are We Have a Baby by Cathryn Falwell (Eliana loved this right before and after Garrett was born) and the collection titled Eloise Wilkin Stories, especially Busy Timmy and the adorable Baby Dear. The Eloise Wilkin collection is a great deal - just $9 for nine stories! There is one called We Help Mommy in which a little brother and sister help their mommy make the bed, prepare breakfast, do chores, then go off and play for awhile and return to help mommy some more. Very cute and I love the gender roles;)
I'm trying to put pictures of the books here but AGAIN it's not working. Maybe next time. You'll just have to follow the links to find them yourselves!:)

2 comments:

rcsnickers said...

Will check the ones Garrett likes. I have other books by Brown and not very tbrilled with them. Does our library have Big Red Barn? Sounds cute.

Thanks for adding more books to our list...

Letisha

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

We also have the Eloise Wilkin collection. Her stories are so sweet! I had a small copy of We Help Mommy and was so happy when my mom found the collection book and gave it to the children.