I used 1 mil PUL for the outer (the burgundy in the picture), microfleece for the inner (purple in pic... I'll be buying some boy colors!), and 1.5" wide aplix. I made it a pocket diaper, which means the back is open and I can insert any type of soaker - for example, my newborn size prefolds for daytime use or multiple layer for super nighttime absorbancy. Then I can take them out to wash so that they wash more thoroughly and dry faster than if they were sewn into the diaper.
I found some pictures of the HoneyBoy as a guideline. First I cut rectacles, stitched them up, sewed on squares of hook tape, and sewed them on for tabs. I then sewed on equal size loop tape next to them (on the fleece), so they can be folded over while washing and won't get stuck to anything! Genius! I can't say that cause it wasn't my idea!!:) I sewed a long piece of loop tape to the front of the PUL (you can see all this in a photo farther down).
Once the aplix was all attached, I sewed the microfleece and PUL right sides together, leaving an opening in the back. AFTER doing this, I sewed 1/4" wide elastic at the leg seams using a zig zag stitch.
Then turned it right sides out, hemmed down the raw edges in the back, and that's it! Done!
And the best part is... it works! When I tested for 3 hours during the day, the fleece felt dry to the touch even though my soaker insert was wet (I used a microfiber towel at the time). No leaking, no wicking, just perfect:) I tested it last night, inserting two newborn size prefolds, and it was great! There was a very small amount of wicking around the front velcro but nothing significant. I supposed it leaked through stitching holes pocked into the PUL or through the cotton/poly blend thread. I have heard that you should use polyester thread for covers. But it wasn't enough wicking to really matter, certainly less than some days with disposables.
Anyway, I like it alot:) I'll be making more!
5 comments:
okay, seeing him in his new diaper makes me want to make some! They are really cute! Maybe after you keep praising how great this diaper is I will eventually venture out to make my own. Or, how much would you charge to make them? See the begginings of your diaper company!
Letisha
I can't actually charge for them since I used the HoneyBoy pattern. You have to get special permission to do that. But if a certain little boy indicates that he wants a couple diapers for his upcoming 1st birthday, then let me know;) That is, IF I still care to make any after sewing my dozen or more! Hopefully it won't take me long to make them all. It's less than an hour for each and if I do it kind of like an assembly-line, maybe I'll actually get them all done!
Off Topic: Um, it has been a week since you posted anything and I know some fun stuff has been happening at your house. Share away! :)
Letisha
Sarah,
You did a Great Job! I wish I could sew straight enough to make a couple. Elizabeth is still having to wear a pull-up at night and I'm sure it could save me some $. I don't know what's up with her anyhow. For several weeks she didn't have any night accidents and all of a sudden she is having them again. Oh well, I guess it's just part of it. Seriously though, you did such a good job on that diaper!
Love & Blessings,
(: Amanda :)
oh, I like them!! I had been thinking of ordering some microfleece and pul, so I can try sewing up some diapers with that. You have gotten me wanting to do that again!!
Post a Comment