Where Butterflies Grow by Joanne Ryder, illus. by Lynne Cherry. Beautifully illustrated, thorough, imaginative story about the life of the swallowtail butterfly.
"Imagine
you are someone small
hidden in a tiny egg
growing bigger
growing darker
till one hot morning
you burst your shell
and creep into brightness"
Are You a Butterfly? by Judy Allen and Tudo Humphries. Completely different than Where Butterflies Grow but I love the text and illustrations just as much. In a fun way, it tells what would happen if you were a butterfly. The cover says there are other books in the series about ladybugs, snails, and spiders (Are You a Ladybug?, etc).
The Lamb and the Butterfly by Arnold Sundgaard, illus. by Eric Carle. Nothing special, but cute enough for honorable mention. Too much repetition gets on my nerves and this story had plenty. If you like Eric Carle's illustrations (I do!) and don't mind reading about a lamb kicking up his heels over and over and a butterfly fluttering about "With a zig and a zag and a ziggety zag" on almost every page, then you'll like the book! I wouldn't add it to my amazon wish list, but it's a good library read.
Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert. Brightly colored, uniquely cut pages, well-written pleasing poetry. We liked it!
The Butterfly Alphabet by Kjell B. Sandved. The perfect ABC book for our butterfly theme! This man found the entire alphabet on butterfly wings! http://www.butterflyalphabet.com
You might like... A Place for Butterflies by Melissa Stewart, illus. by Higgins Bond. This book has perfectly wonderful illustrations! The best of all the books I've mentioned. I learned a few interesting tidbits about what some butterflies and caterpillars eat and where they live. But I have one pet peeve. It's a bit over the top on the environmentalist saving-the-butterflies issue. I like butterflies. I don't want them to die off unnecessarily. But again, I get tired of the repetition here! The left page tells an interesting fact about a caterpillar or butterfly. The right page then says, "If people [fill in the blank... work to protect forests, let some natural wildfires burn, stop using chemicals, etc], butterflies can live and grow." Literally, every page turn says that. If you are outraged by what we are doing to our environment, then you'll love this book! As for me... I just found it annoying. Still, maybe I'll plant a butterfly garden this year:)
I found butterfly crafts and other suggestions on these pages:
http://www.dltk-teach.com/books/hungrycaterpillar/index.htm
http://www.first-school.ws/theme/animals/insects/butterfly.htm
http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preparatory_lesson_16.html
1 comment:
Sarah,
You are doing such a great job with Eliana! It seems like when we get done I'm lucky if Elizabeth can just recognize what the butterfly is. Okay, it's not that bad, but I doubt she would remember about the chrysalis and feelers. Excellent Job!
Love & Blessings,
(: Amanda :)
Post a Comment